First 3D LASIK and Cataract Surgery Performed in Ohio
D. James Schumer, M.D., of ReVision Advanced LASIK and Cataract Centers, Columbus, Ohio Becomes First Surgeon in the State to Perform 3D LASIK Surgery
Columbus, OH (August 14, 2012) —TrueVision®
3D Surgical announced that D. James Schumer, M.D., of ReVision Advanced LASIK and Cataract Centers in Columbus, Ohio, became the first surgeon in Ohio to adopt and perform 3D LASIK eye surgery, and image-guided cataract surgery for astigmatism correction. The ground-breaking surgery took place at ReVision (www.revisioneyes.com
) on July 14, 2012, and utilized the advanced TrueVision®
3D Visualization and Guidance platform for high-definition, real-time, stereoscopic microsurgery.
"We are the first practice in the state to incorporate 3D heads up surgery." said Dr. Schumer, who is founder and medical director of ReVision LASIK and Cataract Centers, in Columbus and Mansfield.
"Not only are we using the technology for advanced LASIK surgery, we encourage the patient's family to experience 3D while they are having surgery. Being able to view the surgery reduces anxiety about the procedure their loved one is going through."
The success of 3D LASIK surgery at ReVision is enabled by the integration of cutting-edge technology via the TrueVision®
3D system, advanced surgical techniques on the part of the surgeon and a great patient support team. The new technology enables a wide variety of surgeon-specific advantages, with a focus on image guidance to optimize patient outcomes and advance modern ophthalmic surgery. Key advantages include:
- Heads-up surgery with retention of microscope oculars
- Unmatched operating ergonomics for the surgeon
- Computer-aided 3D surgical guidance for toric IOL, LRI, capsulorhexis
- 3D image-guided visualization for premium LASIK and cataract surgery
- Seamless integration with traditional phacoemulsification and laser cataract surgery
- Optimal operating room staff communication via "shared view experience"
- 3D patient education to make informed decisions about surgery
- Deliver 3D imaging and new surgical technology for the Baby Boomer generation
- Collaboration with other advanced technologies – crossover from neurosurgery, ENT, spine, plastics, etc.
About TrueVision® 3D Surgical
TrueVision® 3D Surgical is the world leader in 3D visualization and guidance for microsurgery. Santa Barbara, Calif.,-based TrueVision® combines 3D visualization and guidance software focused on improving accuracy, efficiency, and outcomes for both surgeons and patients. The Refractive Cataract Toolset® is the first guidance application released by the company. Visit www.truevisionsys.com for more information.
3D Surgical, Inc.